2013年9月13日星期五

And Now for Something Completely Different: Ear Infections

When I was in grad school and living with my parents, I sometimes had the thought that I really should have gone to veterinary school. 


Then I took Dizzy to the vet when he had an ear infection, and was cured of that impulse. Of all the horrifying smells dogs are capable of generating, I think the ear infection must be about the worst. 





I encountered it powerfully with some senior cocker spaniels I used to groom, and I’ve learned to recognize that unique aroma long before I look in a dog’s ears. 


As you might imagine, though, Dizzy’s ear infection was really in a class by itself.




That incredible smell is why I was so delighted when my mom gave me some of the dog stuff she’s accumulated over the years, and there happened to be a bottle of Vet Solutions Ear Cleansing Solution. That stuff smells like paradise. I don’t know what they put in it, but to me it smells like a romantic, sensual potpourri of ylang-ylang, jasmine, and rose. 


Ear cleansing solution? Forget it, I’m using that stuff as a parfum. 


Bring on those cocker spaniels, those Bassets, those nappy, dreaded, oozing, foul-smelling ears. I am no longer afraid. 


没有评论:

发表评论