2013年9月17日星期二

Ear Infection Remedies for Pets





Olive Oil and Garlic Infusion


[YEA]  09/04/2013: Top EC Contributor! Theresa from Mpls., Mn: “At the first sign of a head tilt or constant head shaking and ear scratching, check the ears for foreign bodies and discharge. Ears may be flushed with the ACV/H20 remedy, but sore ears that are raw from scratching should be treated first with olive oil infused with fresh garlic. The fresh garlic has anti-fungal/anti-yeast properties and will aid in combating a yeasty ear infection while the olive oil provides a soothing means of delivery as well as working with the garlic to combat ear mites.


Take 1 cup of olive oil and add 1 good sized clove of fresh, chopped garlic and let steep overnight. Strain the garlic from the oil, and then warm to a comfortable temperature for the pet [101 degrees F]. Appy generously to the ear canal, making sure it gets down deep; massage the base of the ear canal near the pet’s jaw and listen for it squishing about. The pet will shake its ears to remove excess oil. You can apply the garlic infused olive oil 2 x day for 2-3 days; this will allow the ear tissue to heal to where you can then use the ACV/H20 remedy with no stinging or burning.


You can purchase already made preparations of Garlic and Mullien oil or Neem oil that can also be used on painful ears; these oils need not be used full strength from the bottle, they can be diluted with olive oil 50:50. Always warm to a comfortable temperature before using in the ear.”







Olive Oil and Milk


[YEA]  02/27/2009: Marie from Auckland, New Zealand: “I tried the Vinegar solution but it only caused more redness in my dogs ears. But I have had great success with the Olive Oil and milk remedy. 2tbs oil to 1 tbsp of milk, warmed up. Soak a piece cotton wool in the mixture and rub on the inside of the ears making sure only a little goes into the ear cavity. It is really helping, the redness and smell is nearly gone. It will need to be kept up once a day a least to keep it at bay for now though.”







OTC


05/28/2009: Lisa from Lilburn, GA: “I tried most of the remedies except the blue power.The apple cider vinegar works great to clean my dog’s ear and if I use it regularly it prevents the ear infection from returning. After some time of neglecting to clean my dog’s ear, the ear infection always returns. After the last ear infection, we had a culture and sensitivity test done to confirm the presence of an antibiotic resistant staph bacteria. The vet prescribed a powerful antibiotic that would have to be administered for over a month and possibly longer. I refused the antibiotics from my “naturopathic” vet and received a horrible scolding after I said I wanted to try something else first. I tried the milk and olive oil and saw some improvement but not enough. Needed something stronger, quicker because the ears were oozing puss. After researching I found a commercial product called Zymox which got the ear infection under control within 2 days. I have now been using it for about 5 days and the ears look normal, but I will continue for the full 14 days to completely kill the bacteria. Ingredients include natural milk enzymes lysozyme, lactoperoxidase, lactoferrin that work by digesting bacteria. It comes with or without hydrocortisone. Other ingredients include: glycerin, deionized water, dydroxy propyl cellulose, benzol alcohol, potassium iodide, dextrose, propyl glycol, glucose oxidase.”







Over the Counter


[YEA]  11/25/2011: Susie from Exeter, Ca.: “Used this on my poodles ears, now he can hear. Can the stuff block hearing?”







Probiotics


[YEA]  07/09/2013: Mila from Niagara Falls, On, Canada, Ontario: “I am a breeder of Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Every year I was fighting ear infections in some of my doggies, as Cavaliers have long ears and infections are quite common. After learning about use of probiotic formula for pets 2 years ago, I don’t see these infections any more. I am giving them just a little sprinkle (a pinch) on their food once a day – not even the recommendation on the product container. Only once a week I am cleaning their ears, but there are no infections. You can buy this “Geneflora Probiotic formula” in any pet store. It costs around $ 36.00, which is much cheeper then vet visits, medications and the time involved. I hope this will help somebody else as well…”







Reader Feedback


12/08/2010: Pawpads from Los Angeles, Ca: “You should not be putting anything in your cats ear, that you have no idea what your diagnoses is. TAKE YOUR CAT TO A VET!!! Especially alcohol, and straight vinegar…. You should be cleaning your cats ear if they are extremely waxy twice a week with a cotton ball, dampened with nothing more toxic than a quarter cup of distilled vinegar, and warm distilled water… And do not go deep into the ears… You can do extreme damage… If you don’t get it all the first time, go back in a day and do it gently again. If there is too much goo go the the daggone VET!!”


Replies



: “I have an 18 month old gsd with a chronic ear infection / swelling which we have treated unsuccessfully with Baytril and ear washes. Have tried the ACV with water and a couple of drops of mineral water. She was acting like it was very uncomfortable for her – this was the first attempt at this so I am willing to continue but don’t want to cause her any more discomfort – any suggestions ???? Thanks-”






10/22/2012: Jessica from Cabot, Arkansas: “Two years ago my vet has told me that my labs may have food allergies since they got frequent ear infections. So we’ve spent 2 years on a limited diet food (duck and potato), but they still get a few of infections each year. We have recently changed to salmon and rice, but the food is so expensive that we may be forced to give our dogs away (we can’t afford the food and treatments for infections). We are desparately looking for alternative treatments, becaus, like most dog owners, we love our dogs and want to keep them! Does anyone think the vinegar & water mixture could help prevent these infections instead of just treat once they get an infection? How much solution and how often? Also, the yogurt makes sense as a preventative, but how much and how often? My labs are 75lbs each. Thanks!”


Replies



: “I need help, any truthful advice please. Im having no luck searching.

On April 2 we took our 2 dogs to the vet. The vet said Iris (she will be 3 in Nov. And is a Beagle and Blue Heeler mix. ) has an ear infection and that was it (besides the extra charges for the vet and the city $ 500 later). I thought I got it to go away, then on May 28 she was very listless. She did not want to do a thing. Finally I got a feeling to really look deep in her ears and it was really smelly and brown yuck all over her ears. To me there is a difference between a “ear infection” and a “yeast ear infection”. I have been cleaning her ears out twice a day thats how often the brown stuff comes back. I’m using the 40/60 hydrogen peroxide and water (sometimes now). I started puting Organic Coconut Oil, 3 drops in her ears & not letting her shake for 20 minutes.


Yesterday it was discovered she has a bump that’s hard in the “Right Lymphatic Duct” area. HELP! She’s drooling bad and I need to help her with the pain and I cannot find any good research on this area of a dog.”







06/22/2011: Corky from Manhattan, Kansas / Usa: “I have a 63 pound supposed to be pit bull, looks like a stafford, girl who is just a big baby. Used to get ear infections. Started her on a raw diet per my daughter who has two Boer Boels. Have not had ear infections since. Until now. I think my son fed her something. I tried ACV mixture, and the white vinegar mixture. Then I tried the monostat 3 day remedy. She broke out in hives and I didn’t know what to do. I did get in the 3 days but every time I thought I was killing my dog. Her ears do look a lot better, she isn’t biting her feet as much, although she has always done that to a degree. I almost took her to vet last night. She just acted miserable night before last. I had an appointment, but when I got home from work last night she was better. She is still lethargic. I’ve stopped everything now. She has had 3 helpings, 1 cup each, of the plain yogurt but I am stopping that after reading about the dog who died from bloat. I might feed her a little bit in the future but that scared me. And I don’t know that 1 cup “how many times” is right??, I just remember reading 1 cup somewhere. I so enjoy reading all this input from people. Good to know you are not alone.”






02/25/2011: Winterhawke from Spokane, Washington: “Greetings to All


I need your help and so ask the members, readers, of this valuable website, to contibute their expertise in order to help me to provide comfort for my aging feline friend during her last days (months, or years, I hope). Please read further and help me to accomplish that.


The problem: A chronic ear condition that seems untreatable by various medications prescribe by 3 veterinarians, my treatment using a few natural remedies (such as vinegar solutions) The condition has been in existence almost 2 years. She is in great discomfort and I must help her but am clueless as to where to turn to next.


Details and her med. History:


She is a 15 year old calico female in her autumn years, inside only, diet of superior grade cat food, and nothing that is not cat safe to ingest. She has a normal appetite no other signs or symptoms and seems content except for the constant discomfort caused by her ear condition. Her vaccinations up to date and she has always been cared for excellently. She is also my certified therapeutic animal by the state of Washington whose role is to improve my mental well-being and she does that immeasurably and more.


Her left ear (only)has had a chronic ear “infection”, or condition for nearly two years.


What she has been treated with etc:


I am very low income, but since she has been my beloved companion for 15 years, I have scraped up the funds to see 3 different vets in 2 years. Each vet prescribed a different ear medication. None have addressed her malady at all. In fact, the last vet prescribed a very effective (in most cases)broad spectrum medication, Gentamicin. It had no effect. This is worrisome as Gent is effective against all of the ear pathogens that I have ever heard of. By the way, I was a vet tech for years, and so have greater knowledge of cats and ear conditions. I have never seen anything like this in a cat.


The last vet, a knowledgeable man, told me that some cats can will develop chronic ear and untreatable ear conditions. Thus, there is no cure known.


There is a very expensive lab test called a culture and sensitivity test that finds the identity of the organism and also what drugs kill it. However, that vet told me that I could go to the expense of that test and still come up with an unknown organism or one having no drug effective against it.


I must find something that works because hers is causing her great discomfort as she flicks her ear constantly, shakes her head, and does all of those behaviors that we cat owners know mean that our cat is in distress/pain such as hiding, etc. So, her ear condition is detracting from her, previous, positive quality of life as well as mine.


Details about the condition:


There is constant fluid coming out of her ear that is very wet and is dark brown in color. There is no odor. The exudate does not resemble ear mite debris that I quite familiar with seeing it so often in my vet tech years. The last vet examine her ear canal with an otoscope and saw no evidence of ear mites. The condition has remained only in her left year, has not spread to her right and has not spread to my two other cats who come in close contact with her.


What I have tried:


2 prescription medication for 2 other vets.


Gentamicin, a broad spectrum antibiotic/anti everything including yeasts, etc. prescribed by the 3rd vet.


A white vinegar solution AND then an apple cider vinegar solution that I instilled into that ear with no change in its severity.


An OTC solution containing 2 natural enzymes along with .5 % hydrocortisone. This solution comes with reputable recommendations as a when all else fails treatment. I think that that this treatment may have made her condition worse. I say this as I have been told by doctors/vets that hydrocortisone is contraindicated when there is a pathogen involved as hydrocotisone, an anti-inflammatory drug impairs the body’s natural inflammatory response which is the same mechanism that kills foreign invaders and so the microbes flourish unchecked.


The final treatment that I have tried:


Praying to the universe that this thing goes away as seeing her in discomfort and being powerless to help her during a time when she so deserves her days to be warm and contented is painful for me to witness. I am at the end of my rope and so ask for assistance from anyone out therewho has an idea to try, etc.


Any info that you can provide me to improve her quality of life would be more appreciated than you will ever know.


Thank you for reading my plea and for including pet information on your wonderful website.


Winterhawke


Spokane WA”


Replies



: “I have been reading the comments regarding ear infections. the problem i need help with is i have a 12 yr old german shephard. he has had an on going ear problem since January. He has had blood in his ear. it is painfull. he is on his 3rd round of antibiotics with no change. the vet started him on steroid yesterday. the vet is not able to see that far down into his ear to tell what maybe causing the bleeding. has anyone come across this and are there any solutions? there is no bad smell coming from his ear.”







Rubbing Alcohol, Violet Solution, Boric Acid


[YEA]  01/27/2010: Jp4120 from Phila., Pa: “cure for dog ear infections


this works perfectly for my dogs after many wasted trips to the vet and many useless expensive drug treatments


[Recipe found on the web]


* 16 Oz. Isopropyl Alcohol
* 4 Tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
* 16 Drops Gentian Violet Solution 1%


Mix together in alcohol bottle and shake well. You also will need to shake solution every time you use it to disperse the Boric Acid Powder. To use, purchase the “Clairol” type plastic bottle to dispense solution to affected ears.


TREATMENT: Evaluate condition of ears before treating and if very inflamed and sore do not attempt to pull hair or clean out ear at all. Wait until inflammation has subsided which will be about 2 days. Shake the bottle each time before using. Flood the ear with solution (gently squirt bottle), massage gently to the count of 60, wipe with a tissue. Flood again on first treatment, wipe with a tissue and leave alone without massage. The dog will shake out the excess, which can be wiped with a tissue. Best done outside wearing old clothes, as the Gentian Violet does stain fabrics.


The SCHEDULE of treatment is as follows: Treat 2x per day for the first week to two weeks depending upon severity of ears. Treat 1x per day for the next 1-2 weeks. Treat 1x per month (or even less frequently, depending on the dog). All of these ingredients should be available at a pharmacy. Despite the alcohol, most dogs will not object to even the first treatment. The Boric Acid Powder soothes the ear. The Gentian Violet Solution is an anti-infection agent. The solution appears to work well on any and all ear problems from mites to wax to canker. After the 2nd or 3rd day you can clean out the ear with a Q-tip or cotton balls. Their success rate for this treatment is 95-99%. Those who do not succeed have usually not done the treatment long enough or have not been regular about it.”


Replies



: “I have used this on my dog (a cocker spaniel) for more than 10 years. No more ear infections!

Dog Ear Cleaner


16 oz. rubbing alcohol
10 drops violet solution
2 tabs. boric acid powder


You can purchase violet solution and boric acid powder at the drug store. Pour a little of the rubbing alcohol out of a 16 oz. bottle. Add the violet solution (be careful! – it stains) and the boric acid powder. Shake well. Put 5-8 drops in each ear several times per week. Shake each time you use it. You will save loads of money on vet bills – no more ear infections in your dog!”


Replies



: “I recently started to use a solution of equal parts alcohol, water, and white distilled vinegar instead of apple cider. I was wondering if that is ok or should I go and buy some apple cider? She has been having problems with her ears now for a month or two and after the estimate the vet gave me this seemed like an effective alternative. Just wondering on some feedback about the white distilled?”







没有评论:

发表评论